Thursday, March 20, 2008

My College Essay


When I arrived in North Carolina I thought I was going to hate it. My group and I were in the woods, sleeping on the ground with bugs, and hiking with packs weighing around sixty pounds on our backs. The first few days were difficult for us and it was awkward because we didn't know each other. We soon realized that in order to get things done we must work together. We started bonding and the trip changed. Our positive attitudes helped us to achieve our goals more successfully. Nobody was better than anybody else and we all helped each other out. When you are with a group and they are the only people you will see, with very few exceptions, for three weeks you must bond and try your hardest to be positive. Our group knew that if one person did not cooperate it would bring us all down.

When I was a sophomore in high school I got accepted into a program called Summer Search. Summer Search is a non-profit organization that gives selected students a chance to do things that would not even be dreamed of. Students are sent on two trips, one the summer before junior year and one the summer before senior year. For my first trip I went to North Carolina on a wilderness expedition. I wanted to go to California or Colorado, but those trips were full. I was hesitant about going to North Carolina, but it ended up being one of the most challenging and beneficial experiences in my life. The purpose of my trip was to gain leadership skills and grow as a person. I personally gained both.

On my trip there was a part called "solo". For three days each person in our group had to be separated from each other and live on our own campsite. The instructors would come twice a day to check in on us and we were given a small bag of food and some water. When I arrived at my site I set up camp and settled down to relax. Time passed slowly but it allowed me to think and reflect on my life. I learned and realized things about myself that I never had before. One was: if I try my best I can do anything. After our solos, we went to a new campsite for three days of rock climbing. I am extremely afraid of heights and was dreading climbing. On the first day I was almost forced onto the rock. Tears were in my eyes and I screamed to be taken down. Finally I reached the top and felt so proud of myself. On the last day of climbing I completed a two hundred and fifty feet multi-pitch climb and rappelled down from it. I learned that if I face my fears I can overcome them.

When I first got to North Carolina I didn't think I would like it because I would not be able to do all the things planned for the trip. Being on my own for three days in the woods was extremely scary. Climbing was one of my biggest fears. I accomplished so much and I now know that I can do anything I set my mind to. I know how to survive on my own in the wilderness. I have learned to accept everyone for who they are. I am much more mature and independent since my trip. The best quality that I took home is determination. I am determined to be successful and know that I can do anything I desire.

Life is full of many challenges and obstacles, but it is never impossible to overcome them. Throughout my life I have realized that if I am determined to do something I can succeed. Perseverance is very important to me. Some things in life are going to seem unbearable or worthless, but I know that if I give it a chance it can become worthwhile. If I strive for something I really want, I know I can have it. Just like many other people, I have set goals for myself and I am determined to fulfill them.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger